Tuesday, September 30, 2014

'The Flowers of the Forest' plays in my head when I read this ... Lament of Sidhelagh



Was it so long ago
We danced in the early dew
Loving the dawning
With everything new

Was it so far from here
We danced in the dawning
now ‘tis the gloaming
and darkness is near

where now the singing
or melodies ringing
horses are screaming
eagles on  the wing

to battle  to battle
so sound the Horns
bells  add their crying
darkness draws nigh

where now hearth-home
where our sweet bairns
where our true mates
ah – we mourn

grieving and fighting
no new daylighting
side by side fighting
holding the day

 holding and holding
holding lest faith should fall
where now the future
for which we risk all

we fall and we fall
who now to stand
tomorrow tomorrow
now in your hand

I fall oh I fall
Hear now my voice
Hard in your ear
Stand you must stand

Kiss now my daughters
Hold close my own
Tell them their mother
Has gone down

Give them big boots
tell them they must  grow the feet
to stand in those boots proud and tall
and to hold
to hold

to hold

No comments:

Post a Comment