Tuesday, October 27, 2015

If I Say Merry Christmas On December 25 ...



Please have the courtesy and respect to reply in kind.

If you say to me Happy Hanukkah or Happy Winter Solstice or Happy Yule (or whatever else) I will be pleased to reply in kind, out of respect and courtesy. If it happens to be December 25 I will probably add Merry Christmas and hope you will have the respect to reply in kind.

If you say to me Happy Holidays, I'll likely ask you to which holidays you refer and reply to whatever you tell me by saying Happy *whatever it is*.

We are each and all of us entitled to celebrate as our hearts lead us; we are not entitled to impose our choices on others.

Mid-winter has been a special time for most of the peoples of our earth for a very long time. It is both the deepest dark and the time when that deep dark begins to make its turn again toward more light, at least in the Northern Hemisphere where I happen to live. It is in many ways the most challenging part of the year - it is also the time of the most joy as the dark begins its annual retreat. 

So yeah, it's a time to celebrate - for all of us.

Christians celebrate Christmas; others celebrate in other ways.

Let's all of us respect the celebrations of all of us.




No comments:

Post a Comment