Sunday, October 11, 2015

DIY Progress on Boots

And here we go!

Cut sweater sleeves from sweater.
Slip the foam soles inside.
Wrap  edges around - I leave a space for the tape to adhere to the soles.
Secure with duct tape (or however you want).


Screwdriver to open can of liquid rubber.
Paintbrush to apply.
Water for clean up.


One hand inside to hold while painting.


First coat painted on.

Waiting for paint to dry.

I've got two coats of the liquid rubber on. It's thick, almost like a glue, but spreads well with a stiff-bristled brush. It probably wouldn't go on quite as well with a really soft brush.

I let it dry for a couple of hours before putting on the second coat. We'll see how it works with two and add more if needed.

At any rate, the liquid rubber isn't nearly as smelly as I was afraid it would be, and actually does clean up with water. That surprised me because its function is to be waterproof!

One modification I'm going to make is to cut a piece of felted wool that fits the bottom of the foot and goes up the heel area. I'll still use tape but just a strip down the center of the sole to both hold the sides in place on the underside and keep a grip on the soles. I'll cover it with the felted wool, mainly for aesthetics. I can do that with this pair tomorrow if I want, and just put another coating of the liquid rubber on over the top.

So tomorrow will be my first day wearing the sweater boot design with rubberized soles. 

*laughing*

I'd better make darned sure they're all the way dry or I'll be leaving Smurf-prints all over the place!



No comments:

Post a Comment