Friday, December 5, 2014

So Glad Mamm Isn't All Alone!



Watched the movie 'Frozen' with my daughter and grandboy ...

We cherish our together time; it's all too limited.

On this evening we chose to watch one of their favorite movies, one I had heard about but hadn't seen yet.

Z-Bug snuggled in with me and we munched our popcorn as the beginning of the movie unfolded.

My daughter's facial expressions cued me as to what sort of scenes were coming up - smiles, a serious sort of concentration, a frown - so I wasn't as taken by surprise as I might otherwise have been.

Part of the joy was hearing them sing along with the songs of the movie.

Another part of the whole thing was my own reaction.

At one point we took a mid-movie break. My daughter told me that she and her husband had discussed their own reactions to this movie, had been kind of surprised at the intensity of those reactions and wanted to understand them.

She told me their observations and conclusions, and they confirmed something I had recognized in my own self as I watched and listened to the movie.

The two of them had been taken back to a time they remembered from their younger days, a time when the movies had been more like some of the original fairy tales, with dangerous obstacles for the characters to overcome, bad guys for them to defeat, and the romance of a happy ending to look forward to.

My own time being even further back than theirs, the memories evoked by this tale were more of reading than of watching movies.

To top it off, from the opening notes of music through the entirety of the movie I kept having feelings that were borderline deja vu. 

Remember that I've only recently finished a series of books based on ancient times with hints of ancient myths and legends here and there for those who may recognize the (mostly) subtle references. Researched material from the very old days fit well with this movie. 

No wonder it felt sort of familiar to me.

No wonder I enjoyed it. 

I was responding not only with the part of me that has held to the myths and legends I read of in my long ago days, but with the more recent part of me which spent so much time immersed in stories much like the one of this movie.

And, you know, it makes me smile.

It seems there is something within many of us which responds to the ancient roots of this story.

I think it's the same something that led me through the labyrinth of the writing of The Mamm Books.

We want to believe, or to at least spend a little time now then pretending that we might believe, in heroes and heroines who overcome whatever comes into their path, who defeat the bad guys, and who prove that love triumphs over all in the end.

So yeah. It makes me smile to see Faith, Family, Friendship, Freedom, and the Future prevail in this story. I like seeing the components of Choice, the Cycle of Life, Peace, Faith, Healing, Hope, Love, and Unity all come together.

It makes me happy to realize that the Characters of The Mamm Books and the Younglings of Dunnottar aren't all alone, and that the people of our own times respond, intuitively perhaps, to stories of  'ancient times'. 

The old old stories have survived the ages; it's pleasing to know that they're surviving still. 

As the time comes upon me to follow the Younglings of Dunnottar, wherever and whenever their imaginations take them, in the books that are looming on the horizon it's encouraging to realize that I'm not the only one in this day and age that believes in the value of the ancient tales. 


No comments:

Post a Comment