Friday, December 19, 2014

Body, Mind, Spirit

This day, and ones to follow, will be used for getting my house set to order.

That's not exactly what a literal type of person envisions.

There will be, of necessity, some of that ... but the hardest work of 'setting my house to rights' is going to be more emotional, intellectual, and spiritual than physical.

The good news is that I can multi-task!

While my hands, arms, legs, and back are busily sorting and filing and moving and arranging, my heart, brain, and soul can be just as busily at work on the hard stuff.

The ringer of my phone is turned off, and I don't plan to spend time on social media, but I'll not be entirely incommunicado. Messages, emails, and texts will be checked now and then. It's just that there are times (like now) in which I need to simply 'Be Still'.

Considering what I just said about the busy-ness that will fill these next few days, the 'Be Still' thing might sound pretty weird.

But, you know, it doesn't really matter, the busy-ness of my body and mind. All of it will have a peace-producing and calming effect so long as my center holds and is 'Still'.

The chaos and confusions of the past little while need to be stilled inside of me. Today's task is to strengthen that center and accept the Stillness that goes along with the words: 'Be still and know that I am God.'

And so, while I sort and file and am busy in my body and mind, my spirit can rest quietly at peace. Into the solitude of this day, busy though it may be, will come healing and strengthening.

It's a lesson sometimes hard to follow, and I honestly do need a certain amount of plain old REST, and have to make myself give my physical self what it needs - as it is the home of mind and spirit. If the body fails, the others are equally affected, so it behooves me to take care of it, right? 

Yup.

I'm pretty sure that's the way it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment