Monday, December 22, 2014

UPDATE! Small Town USA - Gotta Love The People!


Update to the below post!!!
I met the mother of the story at this evening's JuleFest Feast, a Norwegian culinary delight I have to say ... but the UPDATE is that this mother had TWO sons on the same mission, and the book was for her husband. One son was a little ahead of the other, and he's the one in the story below. It's just as well that was the last available copy, and that she and her sons communicate well, as otherwise that second son may have persevered until he'd succeeded in his quest as well - and the dad would have gotten two copies of the same book!


How oh how I wish I'd remember to never go anywhere without a camera!

Walked over to the local grocery store a bit ago, to get stuff for supper.

In I go, right?

They told me that someone from out of town had just left to go see if Close to Home was open because he wanted one of my books and the store is out.

Not only did I not have a camera, I had no keys to get into the shop, either.

Even so, I slip-slided my way the half-block over to The Q  just in time to follow this person in.

Turns out it was indeed the one who wanted a book. When I asked him if he had a couple of minutes, as I would have to slide the block and a half home to get the keys, he smiled and said, 'Sure.'

Then a friend who happened to be there sweeping and such said, 'Wait! I have a set of keys!'

And so into the shop we went and out he came with a signed book for his mom, who had asked him to bring her one since he was in Fessenden on another errand.

I would have loved to get a photo of the people who all pitched in to get the mom her book! The people at the grocery store who steered him to The Q and Close to Home, the ones at The Q who helped us out, and the son who went out of his way to get something that his mom wanted.

Serendipity is awesome.

But serendipity rarely works in a vacuum. Without everyone's being the kind people that they are, she might not have gotten her book for quite a while.

So yeah.

Ya gotta love the people of Small Town USA!


No comments:

Post a Comment