Thursday, May 24, 2012

Garden Update!

I have a beginning on my garden!

In the big flower pot (and I do mean BIG) I planted onions and potatoes, both of which are coming up.  The onions are bigger than the potatoes right now, but that is likely to change.

In the pots I used to have geraniums in, flanking the front door steps, I this year planted carrots, which are coming along nicely although still very small.  They aren't flowers, but their tops are very ferny and will be lovely right up until I pull the carrots!

Beets are barely poking through the dirt in one of the front flower beds; hopefully they'll take off and grow like crazy pretty soon.

Along the back yard fence hang small gunny sacks.  Inside the gunny sacks are big pop bottles with the ends cut off and the tops removed (bottom side up) filled with potting soil and sprouting onions at this point.  I'll add carrots as soon as I get more of the sacks constructed and buy more potting soil. 

Buying more dirt (what a concept - I live in one of the best farming areas in the world!) will also mean I'll be ready to put the tomato, pepper, bean, cucumber, and squash sets into their containers as soon as I buy them.

More dirt will also allow me to expand the tire container up a notch with another tire as soon as those potato plants are big enough (it will be a while yet; they're still pretty little) and then yet another notch in due course.  It's a technique I heard about years ago but have never tried - so this year I'm going to see if it really works! 

I threw some chive seeds into a corner of my courtyard, back by the poppies.  If they grow, I'll have a nice chive plot to harvest when I cook out there.  One definite advantage is that they (like onions) produce pretty purple flowers when they're allowed to grow all the way up.  Round purple spots of color will be great in that corner if they manage to survive and thrive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment