Friday, January 27, 2012

Turning a Window Into a Door

The new kitchen in my house used to be the back bedroom. 

It's a long story. 

Anyway, one of the windows of my new kitchen looks out into my courtyard, which is on the opposite side of the house from Duke's yard. 

I want that window to be a door. 

Since inevitably the things I want do not just automatically or magically happen all by themselves (sigh) I guess it's up to me to turn that window into a door. 

My mom gave me a door and frame, even a screen/storm door with it, so I've got the door.  That's good news. 

More good news is that, unless my artist's eye fails me, it ought to be a good fit.  As soon as I take out the bit of wall that's beneath the window.  Actually, I set the door in its frame smack up against the window.  Since the tops line up and the sides line up, my artist's eye tells me that the idea is not outside the realm of possibility. 

How hard can it be to take off the trim, remove the window in its frame, cut out the bit of wall beneath the window opening, reinforce the exposed framing, set the door in its frame into place, and put back the trim, using the part that's now beneath the window to fill in the vertical gaps at the bottoms of the sides? 

Think how nice it will be to just walk out the door from my kitchen to my courtyard! 

Of course it would be a big step down from the door to the ground, but building the decking and ramping for that is another project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment