Sunday, January 15, 2012

Someday I Would Like To Be Able To ...

Visit New Jersey, where part of my family first located in America.
Visit the Philadelphia area where William and Samuel and Mordicai founded their ironworks and Benjamin designed a stove.
Go to the Carolinas, Ohio, Illinois, Kansas, Colorado, and all the other states our family has been, some staying and some going onward.  A wry smile crinkles my face at the thought, as we are represented in every state in the republic at this point.
It's absolutely well beyond my means, as it would take a very long time to re-visit all those generations, not to mention a great deal more wealth than I will ever have at my disposal, sad but true! 
Still, a fun thing it would be. 
One of the most interesting things would be locating current family members in all of those areas and getting to meet them, talk with them, spend a little time together, and see if 'family traits' are a reality or a fiction!  Are ALL of us hard-headed, intelligent, artistic/creative, difficult, idealistic but at the same time realistic, charming but impossible to truly understand (except by ourselves, of course), unorthodox, and given to biting off more than we can chew no matter how big our mouths are?  I take that back.  We do NOT bite off more than we can chew; sometimes we just chew for a long time.  With our big mouths.
Is it just me, and all the others of us that I happen to know, or are we ALL that way?
I don't expect to ever be in a position to find out, so I'll assume these are inherited traits.  That way we can blame those who have passed ahead of us; they're definitely in no position to argue the point.

No comments:

Post a Comment