Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Straw Bale Garden Not Dead Yet!

I got the bales into place, soaked 'em down good for several days, sprinkled the nutrient mix on as I went, and then went to put the bedding plants and seeds in.

Reaching down into the bales to make openings for the potting soil and plants/seeds, I was pleased to find that the bales were pretty warm inside. It makes me happy because that heat is an indication that the bales are already in the process of breaking down. As they do, they'll provide nutrients for the plants whose roots are even now growing down into that warmth.

I put in sweet peppers, tomatoes, onions, carrots, and beets. The cantaloupe and watermelon get five gallon pails, and I'm thinking to see if I can get green beans to grow up along the fence.

So far things are looking pretty good (knock wood) and the peppers are beginning to flower.

So we shall see what we shall see.

*laughing*

One thing that I do see is that apparently that wasn't ALL just straw in those bales. I'm going to have to weed them as I have a strong suspicion that if I don't I might have a good crop of wheat coming.

Electronic difficulties are the reason I haven't gotten photos into these posts, but hopefully that will soon be figured out and fixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment