Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Oh For Pete's Sake!


HOW long does it take glue to dry, anyhow? 

I have things I want to be doing, you know, and waiting for that dratted glue to dry is throwing me completely off my schedule. 

Okay, well yeah, it’s deliberately thick and oozy, because I’m trying out a new technique to see if Elmer's glue dries clear if it’s thick and oozy to begin with – but I’m getting tired of waiting to find out. 

I’m looking for the effect of looking through a window running with rain.  Since I had a couple of bottles of glue I figured I’d try that first even though it’s water soluble and isn’t something I’d use – but I’m trying it anyway, just because. 

It’s been a while since I experimented like this and despite the frustration I’m enjoying it. 

I used first plain Elmer's glue on a couple of pieces, then diluted it by about half with hydrogen peroxide (don’t ask me how come I didn’t just use water – I swear to you that I haven’t got the faintest idea) and both are taking forever and a day to dry.

Sigh.

Of COURSE I could just go to bed and find out in the morning, but I also want to know how long it takes … next time I decide to do something like this I hope it’s earlier in the day than eleven at night, which was two and a half hours ago now. 

0930 Update
The glue does dry pretty clear but I have to remember to pop all of the bubbles, sigh.  Also, as one would expect, the hydrogen peroxide puts lots of tiny bubbles in - did we guess that would be a no go?  Not much of an experiment when you already know what's likely to happen, huh?  Oh well.  The regular glue, not watered down, STILL isn't dry but it's getting there.  Next time I do this, I'll use WATER to water it down, because it makes it nice and drippy, and I'll know it takes FOREVER to dry so plan around that. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment