Friday, May 16, 2014

Go West, Go West!

public domain image

In the relatively short time that branches of my family have been in America, a mere four hundred years or so, this seems to have been their theme.

Well, I reckon they wouldn’t have been overly fond of the idea of going East right there at the beginning, since there was nothing to the East except the ocean, right? They had just crossed that ocean, taking their first giant step 
onto a whole new continent, going West.

To the North is Canada, and a few did make the trek up that way but none in my immediate lines stayed there.

To the South? More ocean and Mexico. Some DID go south of where they started out (which was New Jersey) but as far as I can tell the farthest south anyone settled was Texas.

So really, West was the way to go.

Now that I’m getting into research that goes back beyond my ‘immediate’ family I find that the lot of us, people in general, have been Going West for quite a spell. A very long spell.

And some chose to stay at every stop along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment