Sunday, September 27, 2015

I Have Some Cutting To Do I See

In keeping with my resolution to keep up with myself this year in preparation for the coming Long Dark, I'm going to get the wood I've already got cut to length and see where I'm at before adding to the collection. 

It's kind of a survival thing for me. If I don't keep it organized as I go along, I'm liable to trip over a pile of wood and be very sorry I didn't cut and stack it. Experience speaking here.

We're making progress, though - thanks to my sister Mary! 

This pile is about three times as big as it was before yesterday.

Howsomever, the below stacks need cutting down to size! 

This one is at the foot of the basement steps.

This one is on top of a table. It's for starting fires, along with kindling.

This one is setting on top of the big wash sinks. It's a little bigger, maybe as big around as my wrist, and is for cooking fires, along with feeding regular ones to get a good bed of coals going.

These are stacked on the floor at the end of yet another table. When cut, they will fit into the firebox of my stove and provide a nice long fire for heating, cooking, and keeping water hot.

This pile is a lot bigger than I want it to be - these all have to be split if I'm going to be able to use them.

So yeah, I've got my work cut out for me here. Getting the wood is hard work, and it's only just the beginning of said hard work. There's another pile that I totally forgot to get a photo of, too. Lots of cutting to come!

But it will be worth it!

When I get these batches done, I'll collect some more and start all over again, and keep on keeping on with the cycle while the weather holds. 




No comments:

Post a Comment