Saturday, January 31, 2015

I have found the Geats!

The map is from the 12th century, but the Geats were there LONG before that ... just wanted to pop this in ... theirs is the blue area with the Swedes in yellow.

Here's an 'earlier' version: it's supposedly from the days of Beowulf ...


Not that they were ever lost, mind you.

It's just that I've only discovered them.

I ask you: how is it that I could have lived so much of my life in North Dakota and Minnesota, where there are plenty of Swedes and Norwegians, and never once in all that time heard a single word about the Geats?

No, it had to wait until I get started on ALIANORA, which takes place during the time of the Vikings, and am in the middle of researching a long-standing trade (friendly) relationship between Dunnottar and Sweden (going back to previous research about the name itself and a possible connection to a Swedish king called Ottar and his ancestors) ... and there were the Geats, smack in the middle of good old Sweden.

Me being me, I saw that word and immediately thought, 'Hey, that's a lot like Getae - I'll make them related to Alaric, but not let on until later in the book!'

Right.

THEN I looked it up.

O_O

I had been getting a chuckle about the Getae of the North having an on-going trade thing with Dunnottar for a really long time without even knowing that they might be related ... and the chuckles went straight into outright laughter when I read about the logic of a serious argument some centuries back when some claimed that Sweden had defeated the Roman Empire.

Because the Geats were Getae (read Goth, read Celt, read Alaric) and a part of Sweden, therefore it was Sweden who triumphed over Rome. Apparently there was a big to-do about it between Swedes and Spaniards in the 1400s.

And I can't help thinking, 'Wouldn't our Alaric have gotten a laugh out of that!'

Yep, and me being me, what have I done, besides putting all of the above into a public blog?

You guessed it. Got the relationship between Alaric and the Geats into the story line first chance I got.

*sigh*

I never could keep a secret.



No comments:

Post a Comment