Sunday, June 22, 2014

Things Are Winding Down At the Fair

As this year's Wells County Fair reaches its 'winding down' time, it's hard to tell. What with the scads of people still coming and going to and from the midway and food stands, not to mention the NOISE of the demo derby going on directly behind my booth here, the Fair might well be only just beginning rather than winding up!

The scents from the Catholic Food Stand across the way waft on over, carrying a turkey dinner with all the fixings to make my mouth water. Even though I just finished one of those dinners and am in consequence not the least bit hungry (I probably won't be hungry for another three days after that!), the urge is strong to go back for seconds.

The day began with lovely blue skies and a hint of a breeze fluffing the little puffs up there. Now it's beginning to cloud over and the clouds are sporting deepening grey areas. No doubt it will rain. You can feel it in the freshening breeze, now strong enough to ruffle people's hair and set to motion tree branches.

People smile and laugh. A man walks by with a brightly colored balloon structure topping his head, two balloon-less younglings in tow. If they get separated, they will easily be able to find their father.

The Free Stage is quiet for the moment. Usually there's music emanating from that direction, and good music it is, too!

Most of the booths in our line-up are now empty, the vendors leaving early for one reason or another. I too will take my own leave this afternoon, but not quite yet I think.

When this brief time is over it will be time for me to get to work on both the accessories I've neglected creating and 'Mamm of Dunnottar'.

There's a sadness in me at the thought of writing this the finale of the 'Mamm Books', like the realization that your best friend will soon be moving on and out of your life.

Were it not for the knowledge that the Characters have many books yet to write (and will therefore remain in my life for quite a while) I think the sadness would be true grief. 

Be that as it may be, I see in many of the people passing in front of my booth the current images of the Characters I have come to love as individuals and as a People. 

Ach.

Now I'm getting sentimental and had better stop contemplating and get myself busy with packing my things up so I can get them loaded into my little old truck before the downpour arrives.

These days have been 'Hobo Moments' I do believe.

I am grateful to have had them.

No comments:

Post a Comment