Thursday, April 18, 2013

FEDERALIST PAPERS # 8 - LITTLE OLD GRAMMA LADY'S THOUGHTS


2013 APRIL 16 THINKING - THIS LITTLE OLD GRAMMA LADY IS THINKING ABOUT NUMBER 8 OF THE FEDERALIST PAPERS

Alexander Hamilton, James Madison, and John Jay, in 1787/88 wrote a series of ‘articles’ to explain the then proposed Constitution of the United States to the people who were going to be voting to accept or reject it.  The collection is called the Federalist Papers.  They are addressed to the People of the State of New York, one of the thirteen states at the time.

I am just a little old gramma lady but I can read and I can think and I can have opinions, last I heard.

While I was reading the Federalist Papers certain things made me pause for a moment.  Since I was in a hurry to get through them, having not read them before, I didn’t stop to take notes but simply wrote down some of the numbers of the ones that gave me pause. 

So I’ll begin with number 8, which is the first number I wrote down (although if I remember correctly there were interesting and pertinent remarks in previous ones as well). 

Re-reading it, I’m struck by this comment:  ‘It is of the nature of war to increase the executive at the expense of the legislative authority.’

This phrase is stuck smack in the middle of a discussion on the value of having large standing armies.

The gist of what I got out of it is that in a nation that’s basically at peace, there’s no need for large standing armies internally.  Troops need to be available in case of emergency, but large standing armies are counter-productive except when the nation is at war. 

His paragraphs related to this describe the dangers of the armed forces outnumbering the citizens and brought to mind Hitler and his armies.  When the military is larger and better armed than the citizenry it can become not something to protect them but a weapon against them; if the executive is so-minded he has a tool ready at hand. 

Now, I’m not as well-informed as many, but I found a horrified thought crossing my mind.  We keep getting into conflicts everywhere all the time.  What’s up with that?  I’m just sayin’ is all.  The thought did cross my mind. 

The point was made that the military does need to be big enough and strong enough, in conjunction with local and state militia, to repel aggression by outsiders as well as any internal threats that might arise.  To me, that reads as a recommendation for a DEFENSIVE military. 

In case you need to have it spelled out for you, here’s my take on it:  Let’s say we have an executive that has dictatorial leanings, or is inclined to think a monarchy might be a good idea.  According to what I’ve gotten out of this reading, he can up his power base by wars and increasing the military, while rendering the legislative branch less authority in the process.  With the strength of the military, this person could conceivably challenge the authority of the People (Hitler comes back to mind).

I am NOT suggesting an isolationist policy, and nobody has more respect and admiration than I do for our form of government and the military.  We need to be able to protect ourselves and aid our allies.  I might have a problem with the administration of that government and military at some particular time, though.  So did some of my ancestors.  I can perfectly well love my country/government and support our military without necessarily supporting every last administrative decision.  That’s a thing we American Citizens appreciate.

In this paper Hamilton is directing his thoughts toward, and issuing a warning about, NOT preserving the Union.  The individual states or groups of states might take to becoming militarily bigger than their neighbors and therefore stronger and hence tempted to help themselves to someone else’s stuff.  In response, the other states would up their military until the whole shootin’ match ends up an armed camp. 

Now, if we were small and vulnerable, surrounded by hostile governments who might invade us at any time, it would make sense to have as big a military as possible and a powerful executive in charge of it, because the threat would be at our doors and windows. 

We are not small and vulnerable.  Our neighbors do not threaten us with military invasions. 

If ever the United States were to be ‘invaded’ by a military aggressor it would not be by land or sea but via the air. 

Nobody in their right mind wants to take on a country on its own turf where not only the military but the CITIZENS would stand against them with arms.  Nobody is that stupid.  There are over three hundred million of us; who’s going to take us on face to face?  Nobody.  That’s a big part of the security we enjoy.

It’s my admittedly insignificant opinion that if an attempt to attack the USA by air should occur, it would be shot down in no time flat.  This little old gramma lady has confidence on THAT count. 

So where is the threat that justifies having a huge standing army? 

If the Constitutional purpose of the military is defense, how does it serve us to have our troops dispersed over the globe?  Would it not better serve ‘We the People’ to have our well-trained troops, in appropriate proportions, at HOME?  Aside from forces designed for prevention, which do need to be otherwise distributed, how is it that the soldiers who are supposed to be our defense are so far from home?  What if we needed them HERE?

We might ask ourselves who stands to gain from war, who stands to gain from disarming our citizenry, and who stands to gain from having huge numbers of our military scattered around the world.  This little old gramma lady doesn’t think it’s ‘We the People’.

And that’s about it for my thoughts at the moment on #8 of the Federalist Papers. 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment