Sunday, March 1, 2015

Introducing the Original Mamm


It is my distinct honor to introduce to you the woman who became Mamm.

I am pleased and proud to give you:

Wauna aka Mamm

The young woman in the photo above was to become my mother. The young man, my father. 

While Bob is no Alaric, Wauna is very much Mamm. 

Not only is it her face on the young warrior whose photo is the cover of the book, it is her spirit that imbues the Character of Mamm of Dunnottar.

From the outset, Mom was Mamm. She is all of the Mamms of the Mamm Books, when it comes to that. Each and all, they are her own self.

There's not much that is biographical about the books, so if you're looking to find secrets about my mom's life in them, you're not going to.

The secrets you might find out about her are no secret to those who have known this woman.

She is feisty. 
She seeks peace, at the point of a sword if necessary (figuratively speaking).
She's not afraid of much of anything.
She's deeply spiritual.
She can and will Call on a Power greater than her own when need be.
She wins and she loses.
She laughs and she weeps.
She is attitudinal at times, strong-willed.
She loves with every breath of her life.
She sacrifices and grieves.
She gives, always and always, the best she has in her to and for those she loves.
She has within her something that can't really be defined - at least not by me - something which drives her every moment of every day.
She has fought many and many a battle, of all sorts.
She honors the past and cherishes the future.
She is everything, and so much more, that all of the Mamms represent.

Hers is the Song of Choice.
Hers is the knowledge of the ways of the Spiral of all life.
Hers is the Peace of patience.
Hers is the Faith of the ages.
Hers is the Healing of time.
Hers is the Hope for Tomorrow.
Hers is the Love that endures always.
Hers is the Unity sought by all.

In this woman, mine own Mamm, we find the Keeper of the Legacy.

She has Kept it well.
She has passed it on intact.

Faith
Family
Friends
Freedom
Future

These are the intertwined Circles of Dunnottar and they are the direct result of what this woman, Wauna, mine own Mamm, has lived her life protecting and preserving for me, for my sisters, for her grandchildren, for her great-grandchildren, and for all who are yet to come. She has given us all the gift of her own self, the strength of her, the joy of her, the pride of her, the indomitable will of her, the beauty she finds in all things, the hope she bears ... so very much ... so very much ... she is all of the Voices of the Song of the Holy Trinity ... she is in one person each of the Circles of Dunnottar.

And so ... The Mamms ... because I want all to know the remarkable woman who is my mother.

No, the events are not the same - but the Character of Mamm is the mother I know and love.

I give you the Voice of Mamm of Dunnottar as she introduces herself in They Are My Song:

Mamm Speaks
I am Mamm
I am winter born
Daughter of the Mother

To me has been given
Long life
Much wisdom

To me have come many
Choices to make
Chances to take
Tears to weep
Memories to keep

To me have been born
Daughters of the Mother

To me have been taught
Many paths
Many ways
Which have been given me
To share
With those who would learn of them

I am Mamm
I am the Song of Choice


Even with all of the words of all of the Mamm Books, none are in any way sufficient to portray accurately the woman who is Mamm, who is all of the Mamms, past, present, and future.

From Danann:









No comments:

Post a Comment