Saturday, August 30, 2014

AHHH ... ! A NICE RESTFUL DAY AT LONG LAST!

A day of rest finally!

On this day I can just relax and scrub my kitchen floor, sweep my house, dust the woodwork, get the woodpile in my basement cut up and bring more in to add to it, clean my truck out, spend time in my studio sorting and filing, and my store room likewise. I’ll maybe even get some laundry done and do my dishes. And I could get that chiton finished up and the work tunic done, and the leather onto the soles of my felted wool boots.

And yes I’m looking forward to doing it all!

Of course I’m not going to get all of that done in one day, but I can make a decent beginning and see how far I can get.

Tomorrow I need to sit myself down and read through the entire set of Mamm Books to make sure they fit together, and get the transitions put in and all the rest of it so they’re done and ready to roll.

I don’t relish the thought of having but two days rather than the small block of five in which to get as much done as I can, but … well … I got the September schedule for my part time shift-work job last night.

Rather than the every other weekend four consecutive days I had set aside out of my life to do that part time shift-work job, my calendar is beginning to look like a very colorful checkerboard.

I’m running out of highlighter colors with which to make all the changes.

Just when I think it’s safe to plan and make arrangements for the other things that are important in my life, the demands of this part time shift-work job throw a monkey-wrench into the whole works and I’m scrambling trying to regain my balance.

A ten-day trip has to be cancelled at the last minute when into that schedule suddenly appear a couple of two-day shift requirements – smack in the middle of what was supposed to have been available for the trip.

My family has barely seen me and I’d been hoping to take some time to spend with them – but that requires travel time and time to spend in between the miles.

An appearance scheduled months before has to be canceled when my part time shift-work job schedule shows me working a shift on that day at that time.

My mind reels trying to sort it all out anew – and I don’t dare to even think about trying to make plans – for anything, anything at all.

Tell me how a part time shift-work job manages to dominate a life that’s supposed to have time in it for my family and my own work.

Because I flat out do not get it.

I could call in on the days I’m not supposed to be scheduled for, but there’s the schedule right in front of me, a fait accompli. Calling in on those days, even though I’m not SUPPOSED to be scheduled for them, will get me fired.

Pfffft.

I’ve got things to do on this day – things that don’t include sitting here at my keyboard pattering about something I’m going to tend to come Tuesday.

Monday is a Holiday, you know, and the people I need to talk to aren’t going to be around to hear my words. So Tuesday it will have to be.

Hopefully then I can search out yet another color to make yet more changes on my calendar.

Pink maybe – I’ve already got purple, yellow, blue, orange, green, and red, plus blue ink and black.


And it’s off I go to tend to what needs tending to on this day!

No comments:

Post a Comment