Saturday, January 25, 2014

Getting ready ...

Getting ready ... to have even more fun!!!

It seems strange that I already have several items on my list of wardrobe needs for 487 AD.

Remember I said that I used one of my scrub tops as a pattern for the black and red checked tunic I made? 

As I was pulling that same one out to use again, I had a 'DUH!' moment when I realized it is of red and white check. There's also another one just like it, in an olive-ish green check, and another of red and white check with a little black threading through the bigger but still pretty small checks.

I can use all three of those, and of course the scrub pants that go with them, one plain red, one plain green of that olive-ish color. And I just found a length of black cotton to make into yet another pair of pants!

Of COURSE they look like scrubs ... they ARE scrubs. 

They also just happen to meet all of the requirements for clothing from 487 AD. The small checks, as opposed to the plaids, have been called 'shepherd's plaids' or 'kitchen plaids' - and they're perfectly fine, those simple ginghams - or stripes, for that matter although I haven't got anything in stripes (yet).

It's the accessories and the environment that make the difference. 

I doubt you noticed, but just beneath the red and black check tunic in the photo is a length of fabric of small black and white check. This is going to be one of my cloaks, and there's enough for me to make a pair of pants as well! 

Some of these bitterly cold days I sincerely wish that I had already finished the cloaks I want to make. This one, the black and white check, is going to be lightweight in and of itself, but the fabric is thick enough and tough enough to take a good sheepskin lining; if I can figure out how to make a detachable one, I'll be able to use it year-round.

Indeed.

While I'm dreaming, I also want knee-high warm boots to go with that cloak, lined in the same sheepskin, probably white with black leather laces to criss-cross up the outside and tie at the top.

But for now I'm just hoping to get done what I've already got on my plate. The cold-weather things will have to wait until the warm weather gets here and my heating bill allows me to afford to buy all that sheepskin. 

Also on my list is to make myself a sporran. I have no idea whether or not they were called any such thing, but the bags that they've found to hang at the belts of women can't be all that different from the ones the men had. The ones I've found on line are made of just about anything: leather, woven fabric, different furs from small animals. There was even a skunk one! 

I've got the leather belts, one brown, one black, and the buckles, while modern, will have to do. I also made a brown fabric one to go with those brown pants I made - but I have a feeling I'm going to prefer the leather ones as they're bound to be stronger - and who knows what I'm going to decide to hang on my belts!

SO:
I've got (or will have shortly):
red and black check tunic
black pants
red and white check tunic
red and white check tunic w/black
red pants
yellow chiton dress
brown pants w/matching fabric belt
green and white check tunic
green pants to match
black and white check cloak
black and white check pants
white cotton tunic
white cotton chiton top
black/grey/white plaid pants
saffron/white/light green simple drawstring dirndl skirt
black ballet slippers (until I can make or buy sandals, shoes, boots)
sept (from septem, even in Latin, remember?) bracelet
sept ring
forearm wire wrap connected to a pair of triple finger rings
little copper wire torc
little 'silver' torc
simple 'silver' headband/circlet
a bunch of simple spiral bangle bracelets
ankle and calf wire wrap
spiral armlet for upper arm

hmmm ...

I need to take myself to a bunch of second-hand stores I see. People with a lot more money than I have would just go shopping on line for fabric - but maybe it's the legendary Scots thrift (more like my own legendary state of being dirt poor) that takes me to thrift shops!  

I find that, if I'm lucky (and the quest is part of the fun of it!), I can find fabrics that meet my needs. Since I'm not all THAT big, I go to the large sizes and shop there. If I find something I like, I take it home, take it apart, and put it back together however I want. Like that skirt I turned into a tunic with just a little cutting and stitching.

Another likely shopping area in thrift shops is the household fabric goods. Sheets, tablecloths, blankets, and curtains all have a lot of fabric in big pieces. My dirndl skirt started out as a tablecloth. 

Just sayin' is all ... comfortable, easy to make, fun outfits can be put together without a lot of fuss or expense.




No comments:

Post a Comment